How Do I Locate Utilities on My Property?

The City of Durham's Public Works Department provides the information below on their web page regarding utilities located on private property.

Before I dig on my property how do I get my utilities located or marked?

Contact NCOCC (North Carolina One Call Center) at 811 and they will guide you through the process. The City maintains all water and sewer in the public right of way only which includes laterals to your water meter and sanitary sewer clean-out. You will have to contact a private locator to have these lines marked on your property as they are considered private and not maintained by the city.

Any digging in the public right of way will require a permit and that can be obtained by contacting the Engineering Division of Public Works at 919-560-4326.

See other articles in Other Frequently Asked Questions